RE: [teacherartexchange] K-3 Clay use and projects

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 04:53:37 PDT

I wick all my students' work in the kiln. After I think the work is
thoroughly dried, I load it in the kiln. I set the kiln at 200 degrees
for an hour or two and then turn it off. When I fire the next day, I
leave the lid propped open with the side of a stilt (not standing on
end) till it hits 1000 degrees. With heavy gloves on, I pull out the
stilt and close the lid for the remainder of the firing. Water's
boiling point is 212 degrees, and that's when the moisture expands and
causes the explosions. So if you can help out the drying process, that
will reduce the broken work.

Also, are the kids trying to stick things on without scoring and
slipping?

Just some ideas. Hope this helps.

Jan