Re: [teacherartexchange] K-3 Clay use and projects

---------

From: makul9 (makul9_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 17:51:10 PDT

You may need to slow down your firing schedule. I noticed that the manual
for my new kiln recommends increasing the heat very quickly - much too fast
for uneven hand-built works by my young students. I like to leave one switch
on low overnight and then slowly increase the heat level through the day. My
firings are always stretched over at least 12 hours. I have never had a
student's work break in a firing using this method (out of thousands of
works fired this way)- now if I could stop being clumsy!