RE: [teacherartexchange] K-3 Clay use and projects

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 16:39:14 PDT

Sarah,
I agree with Michal. I always do pinch pots w/ kinders, pinch pots with
extensions (short vases really) with 1st and push/pull animals (all made
from 1 piece of clay-no add on's allowed) with 2nd and 3rd. I ALWAYS dry
the projects at least 2 sometimes 3 weeks, way longer than any other
teachers I know but I have never had a lower elem project blow up in the
kiln so maybe this is the reason. I also always use new clay for this age
group and save the reclaimed clay for 5th grade and up (because they can
re-wedge it).
Cindy