Re: [teacherartexchange] K-3 Clay use and projects

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 16:14:46 PDT

When I do clay with younger students I keep the projects very simple. A clay
pinch pot with patterns drawn on is one of my favorite. Make sure you let
the projects sit a week or two to make sure they are 100% dray before you
fire them. Also, I don't let my students make anything thick, or attach
parts at this age, since they really can't control the trapped air issue.
Also, I usually make 2-3 extra projects for those whose projects break so
they have something to paint (although with 10 broken projects this wouldn't
have done you any good).
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids