RE: [teacherartexchange] IEP meeting

---------

From: Schuler, John (jschuler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 07:48:53 PDT

Since we are sharing, my funniest (only in retrospect) experience with
sped kids was this semester when I had this young man who had the
condition where his bones broke all the time. He was in this humongous
wheelchair, he had a full time para and a helper dog. Another boy in
the same class was so severely mentally disabled that he could only sit
and stare (and he had a terrible drooling problem). He, also, had a
full time para with him. The real problem was that on my attendance
that only counts as two kids. Well, between the big wheelchair, the dog
and the paras that was a big chunk of my already at capacity classroom.
And to top it all off, the best behaved out of the whole group was the
dog (I still remember her fondly). Don't worry. You'll get through
this and much worse in your career.