Re: [teacherartexchange] Ten minute lesson/Interview - Thanks!

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 04:39:12 PDT

Chris,
        Congrats on the new job. I'm so glad the advice
you received from the list helped. This group is a great
resource. I too remember a new principle like that. As
we walked to my classroom he told me how he would
like to see more art history in the art classroom. These
are the kinds of principals we need to support. The
best of luck in your new position.
                                                Woody

On May 10, 2006, at 4:32 AM, chris massingill wrote:

> I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice
> about my ten minute lesson for an interview. A couple
> of people emailed me to ask how it went and I didn't
> want to jinx anything until I knew for sure - but now
> I know I got the job!!!
>
> So, if you're curious, for my lesson, I talked about
> the Sadako book and taught them the first major fold
> of a paper crane (square base). I also brought along
> a big display made of three posterboards where I have
> every step of a paper crane folded and glued down so
> that my students can walk up to it and see the fold as
> they sometimes have trouble translating the two
> dimensional instructions into three dimensional folds.
> I also brought along a "portfolio" which was really a
> scrapbook of examples of my students work this year.
> And I gave everyone on my panel a paper crane to keep
> when we were done.
>
> BEST part is that in the interview the principal
> put on his serious face to say essentially that art
> used to be an elective and now that it's a required
> course how was I going to teach it as a serious
> subject because he's taking this new program VERY
> seriously and because of this no one is going to be
> taking me away from my classes for other school
> "projects".
>
> Chris in Central Arkansas

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net