[teacherartexchange] Ten minute lesson/Interview - Thanks!

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 03:32:20 PDT

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice
about my ten minute lesson for an interview. A couple
of people emailed me to ask how it went and I didn't
want to jinx anything until I knew for sure - but now
I know I got the job!!! (They called me at 10 o'clock
last night after the school board meeting)

So, if you're curious, for my lesson, I talked about
the Sadako book and taught them the first major fold
of a paper crane (square base). I also brought along
a big display made of three posterboards where I have
every step of a paper crane folded and glued down so
that my students can walk up to it and see the fold as
they sometimes have trouble translating the two
dimensional instructions into three dimensional folds.
 I also brought along a "portfolio" which was really a
scrapbook of examples of my students work this year.
And I gave everyone on my panel a paper crane to keep
when we were done.

So, as you can see I took advice from many different
sources and I appreciate all your help. I really
enjoyed your ideas and some things you suggested I'll
be using in future classes, but for my interview I
wanted to stick with something I'm familiar with
(since I was such a nervous wreck) and I had already
been thinking about folding paper cranes as I can
practically fold them in my sleep!

In any case, this is an incredible step up for me -
I'm currently driving 500 miles a week to teach at
three schools and at one school I don't even have a
classroom - I teach in the gym (where I have to yell
all day just to be heard- it's exhausting!)

So even though this new job is closer to home and at
a brand new school (and not to mention more money.)
the BEST part is that in the interview the principal
put on his serious face to say essentially that art
used to be an elective and now that it's a required
course how was I going to teach it as a serious
subject because he's taking this new program VERY
seriously and because of this no one is going to be
taking me away from my classes for other school
"projects". I don't even know what I said after he
said that I was so excited to hear it!! I am so
happy to be going to work for someone who is going to
take Art seriously!!!

Thanks again for all your help! Not just for this,
but all the advice and help I get just from lurking
on your list.

Chris in Central Arkansas