Re: [teacherartexchange] IEP meeting

---------

From: gail kizis (smokealarm7_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 09 2006 - 21:20:19 PDT

My limited experience (only 12 yrs. teaching art in large high school) has
been that these are the kind of people that all students need to be exposed
to and taught to help and protect.
I have discovered many "heros" in my crowded classrooms that have really
reached out to kids like this.
It teaches them to get outside their own petty world. We had a blind
student in a Sculpture/Crafts class.
She was a challenge for the teacher, but what fun for the student as we
tried many different texture based projects and what a great experience for
the other students to learn sensitivity to others with disabilities.
Best wishes and have a great summer break,
Nancy in North Texas