Re: [teacherartexchange] IEP meeting

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 09 2006 - 16:23:47 PDT

Thanks, both of you. I've done years of summer camp
with kids with similar disabilities, and coming up
with a week's worth of half hour art experiences is
one thing, but 55 minutes for a semester is definitely
a completely different challenge! Oh, and he gets mad
and spits. Can't use a mouth wand. He has a
head-mounted laser he can use to communicate a few
words on a computer board.

What we will probably do is rather than have him in my
small crowded classroom for the full session, we will
space projects out with his resource teacher across
the year, make a little art corner in her room with
prints, etc. use my "behind the scenes" videos, and he
has a computer that he can use with his own controls,
so I will look for computer-art materials at his
functioning level (2nd grade). he loves sports, so
that's a place I could start. He will probably not be
enrolled in my actual class as far as I learned today,
but I still want him to have access to some art.

He is by far the most multi-handicapped child in the
school, the only one in a wheelchair, and only one
other has a full-day aide, so the socialization in
that classroom will be fairly typical.

Yes, a 2 hour meeting after school to learn he will
probably not be in my room.