Re: [teacherartexchange] IEP meeting

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 09 2006 - 12:40:43 PDT

I know that sometimes they just want to let the kid get out of the
self-contained
special ed room and be around other normal kids. He could be brought
over before or after the bell. Wouldn't he have his own aide? They
could just watch other kids do things and maybe try a mouth appliance
to try drawing if he wanted to. Our spec.ed. dept always tries to let
the semi competant kids come to me in pottery and the home ec teacher
because we are willing to take them. Otherwise they may spend the
whole day surrounded by kids having siezures and messing their pants.

>>> bettycarol_40@sbcglobal.net 5/9/2006 5:14 am >>>
I have an IEP meeting for an incoming 6th grader who
has no use of his hands at all, as well as being
otherwise very low functioning. He is also very
fragile. Most of us fear his safety in the very
crowded boisterous middle school hallways. I think it
would be better for him if he stays in his classroom
all day - the one where they are constructing him a
custom restroom because the standard handicapped one
they have will accomodate his needs, and if I would
arrange with his teacher to send him Behind the Scenes
videos and other art-appreciation videos that will be
near his level. I could loan her art prints to
decorate a space in her room for him, too. He can
still learn to enjoy looking at art, even if he can't
use his hands. I just don't see what I can do for him
while still managing my other classes in my small
crowded active little classroom.

Any suggestions?