Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] crayon melters for left-over crayons

From: hollingsworth005 (hollingsworth005_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 07 2006 - 18:54:00 PDT

I use a lot of my old crayons in crayon melters which I purchased from one
of the art supplies companies. I think they were about $30 a piece and I
just put one or two in my budget each year until I had six of them and then
another teacher and I share our melters so when we do the project we can
have one at each table. I have used these with as low as 1st grade without
serious burn problems. ( a couple drips that require holding the hot spot
under cold water) We use q-tips to dip out the melted wax. They have done
batik projects, Van Gogh type paintings, put leaves on painted trees., etc..
I also use a warming tray that I got a yard sale, put it on low , put a
sheet of copy paper on it and let the students draw on the paper. It makes
the colors flow and become very fluid while they draw. I put this out when
the have a free choice day.
                  Jeryl in SC

To unsubscribe go to