RE: [teacherartexchange] teaching autistic students

---------

From: M Blue Horn (blue_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 07 2006 - 18:38:07 PDT

Let me start by saying that I teach elementary kids, and I'm not sure what
grade level you are teaching. This is really a tough question to answer
because there are so many different strands of autism - each child (like
every child) is so different. I have had many autistic students in the past,
and I have found that the parents are the right place to go for questions.
In my experience, the parents are so devoted to their children and know so
much about autism, they seem to be more involved in making their children's
educational experience the best it can be - more so than the parents of
"average" children.

Other ideas/experiences:
- I have had luck with the textured plates with most of the kids I have
taught - crayon rubbings over them.
- Some love clay/modeling substances while others do not want to touch it...

- Many have favorite things they love to read about (obsess over)... One of
my kiddos this year loves trains so we got him a train stenciling set that
allows him to run a pencil through the grooves and then he colors them
(kindergartener).
- Many seem to get in a trance with not only a particular color, but the
motion of moving a crayon or whatever medium across paper... Let them go for
it w/o interfering... It's a soothing creative energy for them...
- Finally, most of them can do ANYTHING you ask the rest of the kids to do -
most of the time (but not always!) their motor skills are below average, but
that really doesn't matter when they are enjoying the creative process...

Blue in Birmingham