Re:[teacherartexchange] acrylic paint

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 07 2006 - 07:54:55 PDT

You may have noticed that latex house paint is a form
of acrylic paint, so it is perfectly suited to the
large format paper mache your students are creating.
I have used combinations of school acrylics and house
paints for years without any adverse problems,
certainly less than using temperas, which I haven't
used for decades because of the inherent technical
problems encountered with that type of paint.

As a point of interest, I have discovered a product
that I use for just about every paper mache or
sculpture project I do, which is something called pure
pigment. It comes in primary and secondary colors,
and I find it extremely flexible for just about every
paint application I can think of. Essentially, it is
small containers of concentrated water-based pigment
that you can add to latex paint, acrylics, and a
variety of mediums such as pearlizers, gloss mediums
and gels with great results. It makes custom mixing
of colors a breeze and saves a ton of time and
materials. I highly recommend it. Pure Pigments are
made by Createx, and I talked to the developer at the
National Conference in Chicago, who informed me he is
considering removing it from the market because of low
sales--I hope it doesn't happen! (no, I don't work
for them)
Hope this helps, Jerry