Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Old crayons

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 07 2006 - 05:50:32 PDT

I have found a fantastic new contraption for melting
crayons that I would like to recommend. It is for
melting wax for candles and it's called "the Candle
Creations Candle Maker" It's made of plastic and
fairly cheap - about $30. It melts wax a lot faster
than in the oven and has a pour spout on the bottom -
the only problem is that it is created to hold a
candle mold at the bottom, so I just put a plastic cup
under there and then pour the melted wax into a mold.
(I use candy molds and make crayons that look like
frogs and turtles).

--- Marvin Bartel <> wrote:

> Has anybody melted old crayon remains and poured the
> wax into water-saturated plaster molds to make new
> large mural crayons?
> This is may not be safe for students unless they are
> carefully supervised older students, but teachers
> can do it if you follow safe wax melting practice.
> Melted wax can easily get too hot and never should
> be heated directly on a stove top or hot plate. It
> can splash, can burn flesh off the hands and face,
> etc. Limit wax temperatures to no more than 200F.
> Some use an old slow cooker. Some use a double
> boiler set up.
> Marvin
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to