[teacherartexchange] Playing with Shadows: An Introduction to Shadow Puppetry

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 06 2006 - 15:09:38 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

This site from Kennedy ArtsEdge was listed in the Scout Report:
http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/shadowpuppets/artsedge.html

12. Playing with Shadows: An Introduction to Shadow Puppetry [Macromedia
Flash Player]
http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/shadowpuppets/artsedge.html

Discover everything you ever wanted to know about Chinese Shadow Puppetry at
this web site from the Kennedy Center. The site is designed to introduce
American children to this Asian art form, but visitors of all ages will
enjoy learning about how the puppets are made, how the shadows are cast
using the screen and lighting, as well as typical stories and characters
that have reoccurred in puppet shows for hundreds of years. One particularly
interesting section of the site is a set of videos, including an interview
with contemporary artist Ching Pong describing his collaboration with
Shaanxi Folk Art Theater, a renowned Chinese puppetry troupe, to produce
Cathay: Three Tales of China. This show uses both Chinese shadow puppets and
Western rod puppets, as well as digital animation. There are also videos of
more traditional puppet shows featuring cranes, bears, and Chinese dragons.
[DS] (copyright 2006 Scout Report http://scout.wisc.edu/)

Site is excellent. I will be adding a link on my Puppetry Links page.

Enjoy,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/