Re: RE:[teacherartexchange] Re: working with glass

---------

From: Eileen Lurker (eileen181_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 13:05:14 PDT

  I have taught stained glass in high school classes for over twenty years and have never had a problem with safety issues. I think as long as you have a strict list of what is and is not allowed you may be OK even with junior high. One concern I might have is the size of the middle school class. I have had as many as twenty in my high school classes, but with middle school students I think that may be too many, depending on the maturity of the kids. I was a high school/middle school art teacher for 20+ years so I can speak only from my, experience. The cost factor prevented me from teaching it in the middle school more than anything else. Now, about lead free solder. My kids get very frustrated with it because it is much more difficult to get smooth solder lines. ( I teach the copperfoil method.) If anyone have suggestions on how to get smoother solder lines with the lead free solder I would appreciate hearing from you. Also, those of you who teach with lead solder how do
 you vent the fumes in your room? Thanks!

Eileen Lurker
Tri-West Hendricks H. S.
Lizton, IN