[teacherartexchange] Building Visual Resource Collection

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 09:55:38 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

A new teacher has asked me about collecting visual resources. I
decided to post this to the lists for other new teachers. Schools may
be more likely to give you money for resources if you show you are
also taking the initiative to collect and make your own.

Granted the cheapest way to show visual resources is to get books from
the library and show the students the open pages (I often did this too
in my first years of teaching). This may not be the most effective in
the long run though for you. Before digital camera days, I took slides
from pictures in books. Of course, you would also need a slide
projector. Now with digital available, I recommend you take digital
photographs from the books OR scan the images into you computer. Fair
Use does allow you to do this for in class use. Include the copyright
information on your PowerPoint slide (at least in small print) - and
list your resources used.

I scanned images in at high resolution and made my own prints for
several artists I taught. This took a lot of time - but was relatively
economical as I also had the image then for my PowerPoint. I made most
of my PowerPoint over the summer months. You can also make prints from
images on line - but quality will not be as good (too low a
resolution).

Contact a local print shop in your district that has a color
photocopier. I was lucky to have one not too far from my school. I
would drop off books with images marked that I needed and they would
make the color copies for me. I had them make them as large as
possible (11 x 17). Usually, I mounted them onto black paper and put
the text from the book (photocopied) on the back side. If you limit
the number of prints from one book - you can also call this Fair Use.
Include copyright information on your prints. This is how I made many
of my cultural art prints. Each print cost me around $2.00 (I don't
know what the rate is now for color copies).

Subscribe to National Geographic and Smithsonian as they have art
featured in every magazine (nearly every month for National Geographic
- good source for cultural information). Art Ed magazines also have
full page prints you can save.

Check area stores for calendars - Impressionism is the easiest art to
find. Around Christmas, you can usually find more (at least around
here we can). check the stores at then for marked down calendars.

Best source for purchasing prints:

Art Image Publications (prints about 18" x 23"). You can make your
own set. Individual price varies depending on how many you purchase
(between $6.00 and $7.00 per print). Prints come already laminated (a
big plus) and have an artist information page and activities/lesson
plan page with EACH print. Call 1-800-361-2598 for a catalog.

This company has Character Education sets that would be good for the
entire school to use (show how purchasing prints will benefit
EVERYONE).

Shorewood is another good source. Prints are larger 22 x 28. Shorewood
has a larger collection - but is also more expensive (starting at
about $8.00 each for un-laminated). You would have to purchase their
catalog to see all they have available. The do have a small one for
free. Call 1 800-494-3824 for the free catalog.

These two sources are the most economical print sources for educators
-and are of good quality. There are of course many poster shops on
line - but the poster prices are higher as a general rule.

Museums also have print offers - but again, they will be higher price.

If anyone has another good fine art print resource - post it to the list.

Hope this helps,

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department