[teacherartexchange] End of Year "Clean" Activity - Art Games

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 07:03:59 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Here is an end of year activity that is NO MESS and might be fun.
Select a number of art prints where you can find the artists' words of
what the work meant to him or her. Do not share those with the
students at first.

You could do this via PowerPoint - or from actual prints.

Give students time to write their captions... share the captions with
the class. Humor is OK (but they can't get "nasty" - no naughty words
and such).

Then after a number of captions have been shared.... Let the students
know what the artists said about his/her work. Have the words of the
artist in the next PowerPoint slide.... then review/talk a bit about
the artist.

I go this idea from this site:
http://www.artsology.com/thinkerthoughts.php

More games:
http://www.artsology.com/games.php

It might be fun to make your own kind of Memory game - only instead of
using two identical images for each artist - chose similar works and
see if they can match them up. Select artists you have done over the
year(s).... and find an alternate image that you have not shown the
kids (like two different Van Gogh portraits - two different Monets....
two different Matisse cut paper - and so forth). Print off the images
and laminate them for your own game of "concentration?. If student
think they found a match - have them tell why.

I did an art game the last day of school called "Who am I?" - not very
original....
I put up twelve calendar prints and had the class move chairs around them.
I put the title and name of artist under each work. I made smaller
cards of each work with description - artist - title etc. One person
was selected to be the Guest Artist (I gave them the card about the
artist with work shown). The rest of the class had to guess by asking
art questions relating to Ps and Es only. They could not ask about
subject matter of the work. The person who guessed first was the next
Guest Artist.

I'll be adding these ideas to Art Games on Incredible Art Department.

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/