[teacherartexchange] 8th Grade Hand Made Books - to WOW you - from Mark Anderson

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 06:01:07 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

This personal hand made book project was a hit with Mark Anderson's
8th grade students.

From Mark:

Thought you might be interested in these new collage images. This is
the first time I've done handmade books with my 8th grade Art kids -
self portrait collage on the front cover, autobiographical poem and
illustrations in pen and ink and (if we hadn't run out of semester)
watercolor.
Go to:
http://www.ideacreative.com/8th_grade_art/a002.html and click on Gallery #19.

The covers are self portraits finished in collage. This might be an
idea for all of you altered book fans too.... Project could be
Personal Identity (dreams - whatever) and cover could be done like
Mark's students.

I am just guessing.... I think these started with a digital photo -
reduced to line drawing in Photoshop. You could do them by close
observational drawing using mirrors. Magazines were used for the
collage. Mark will let me know the process he used to start the
portrait.

Might be a great project to work interdisciplinary with language arts.
LA teacher could assign the poem and maybe another creative writing
piece for the book.

Enjoy the images!

Judy Decker

--