Re: [teacherartexchange] Pencil Woes for Elementary (advice for new teachers)

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 18:30:05 PDT

Judy Decker wrote:

>For older kids - they recorded their boo-boo in
>the "Book for Naughty Boys and Girls." They told me what they were
>thankful for and then got their pencil from my collection.

When I first started at the middle school, I was having a real battle
with kids not bringing pencils. After getting a lot of advice and tips
from y'all, I ended up with a variation of Judy's idea. I had a blank
notebook titled "The Book of Thanksgiving" in which any student who
needed a pencil wrote their name and something they were thankful for.
I felt they needed to "pay" or "work" for the loan. Some of the
stress for all of us.

Maggie