[teacherartexchange] Pencil Woes for Elementary (advice for new teachers)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 09:46:19 PDT

Greetings Elementary Teachers,

Thanks Patti for bringing this up.

The topic of pencils is actually in "My Book for Art Ed"

Chapter: Are you a Good Witch or a Bad Witch?

I will give you the "Good Witch" Approach to Pencil Woes.

A gross of pencils is CHEAP - buy your own if you have to. My kiddles
always had to bring a pencil with them. If they forgot? They wrote
their name on the slip of paper for that boo-boo (I forget what color
that rule was now). Then they put their strip in the can and used one
of my pencils. My pencils were all sharpened at the start of the day
by 5th grade volunteers who came in before school started.

I had at least 24 pencils sharpened ready to go at the start of the day.

If one of the kiddles needed a sharp pencil - I had them trade me.
Usually by the end of the class period, I had time to quickly go to
the electric sharpener and sharpen their pencils for them. I did not
allow the kids to use the electric sharpener (only my 5th grade
volunteers - as the sharpener was mine). I got all of my pencils back
by the end of the class period - and they all got their pencils.
System worked fine for me - no lines at the sharpener (the manual
sharpener chewed pencils - it was horrible)

I do have say, I tried the "leave a shoe" thing once - and that drove
me nuts. Too many kids with shoes that looked a like... and it took
them way too long to tie their shoes back up again at the end of the
class period. Recording their boo-boo and giving them a pencil was
much easier for me. For older kids - they recorded their boo-boo in
the "Book for Naughty Boys and Girls." They told me what they were
thankful for and then got their pencil from my collection. See
Survival kit.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/survival.htm

Jeannie Sandoval solved the pencil woes problem with her flower bouquet:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/pencils.htm
I see now that I have a link I need to fix (old Getty ArtsEdNet thread link).
Here is the new TeacherArtExchange link:
http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/archive/Jan04/index.html

Regards,

Judy Decker

--