[teacherartexchange] A-R-T Advice for noisy classes (New Teachers)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 09:18:39 PDT

Greetings New Teachers,

Here is a system for keeping noise level under control. It even works
with middle school kids (6th grade - I didn't need it for 7th and
8th).

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/quiet.htm

Write A - R - T on the board - then erase one letter with each
warning. My suggestion is to make your own "After Ruscha" sign...
teach a bit about the Word as Art. (art with text).

FYI - this is one instance to my point made before: "Getting
permission to publish is next to impossible to get". I wrote several
emails trying to get permission to use this ART image from Ed Ruscha -
no luck. I used it anyways since I did not get responses on who to
contact - hence, I added the copyright note - no complaints yet. I
imagine Ruscha would like his work supporting Art Education.

Here is my page with assorted discipline files:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/yearplan.htm

I like Linda Wood's Behavior Quiz:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/bquiz.htm
Keep track of these in a notebook separated by class. Use the students
own assessment in conferences with parents.

Regards,

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department