re:[teacherartexchange] advice for new teacher

---------

rinaviper_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 08:30:54 PDT

re: advice for new teacher

I am an elementary art teacher now finishing my second year. My first
year was pretty rough, but the second year went much more smoothly.
One big reason is I delegated as much responsibility as possible to my
students. I insisted that they cover their tables with newspaper and
clean up their tables with sponges. I had them change their water
containers for the next class. After collage, when their were 1000 bits
of paper on the floor, I had them each pick up 15 or 20 pieces of
paper. I even had students who loved to scrub the sink and wash the
whiteboard!! It seems that kids grades K-3 were the most eager to help
- they just loved 'jobs'. Kids grades 4-6 didn't like to clean, but
they are able to neatly mount their art on construction paper and label
it with a computer generated label (our school secretary printed the
labels for us). If you can get parent volunteers to come in your
classroom, great. Let your principal or classroom teachers you'd love
to have volunteers. Also, some kids in the upper grades love to help
for 10 minutes during our lunch period, especially if you let their
classroom teacher know how wonderful they are.
Discipline was a big problem at the school where I did my first year
teaching. At my current school, classes are rated on a 1-5 scale for
behavior during art, music, science, computer and library. The
classroom teachers reward their students for 5s, and give them
consequences for 3s and below (for example, I get hand written apology
letters from each child in a class that gets a 3 or below). This only
works if you have buy in from all the classroom teachers.
Hope this helps! Good luck.