[teacherartexchange] Advice for New Teacher - "Things I wish I had known...." (Elementary)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 29 2005 - 05:53:59 PDT

Greetings Teacher Art Exchange,

A new Getty member came to me for help. If any of you are willing to
be Mentors for situations like this - please email me OFF LIST and I
will add you to my mini list of "Elementary Experts".

your responses.

>> "I worked more than any other teacher this year. Everyone would
leave the building at least by 4:00. I was there until 8:30 every
night. Every weekend. I must be doing something wrong."

I assured her she was doing everything RIGHT to be a good art teacher
- it does take that much time. Art is the Most Important Subject in
school...so it does take longer (more time at school). I did offer her
some advice.

1. Get some parent volunteers to do the stuff for you than anyone can do --
like mounting work for display. Have one day a week for them to come in and
have the work stacked up ready for them to do.

2. Make class sets of labels on your computer so you can just run them off
each time you need them - saves time hand writing them each time. You could
even give your list to a computer savvy parent and have her/him do this for
you.

3. Start a book for discipline - make is fun too - "The Book for Naughty
Boys and Girls" - all kids will make mistakes - it is up to you to make sure
they don't turn into bigger mistakes. Keep track of the little things - but
come down hard on the big things they do wrong. See my discipline form and
adapt it. Have a page in the book for each class. Linda Woods use this too -
with great success. Have some writing assignments for the kids to do when
they do error.... I can help you write up some things for kids to write.
They need to reflect on what they did. Often they feel it was not their
fault (when the get "in trouble") and they need to express this to you.
(Note: I have lots of tips for classroom management saved on my machine)

All new teachers reflect on what you could have done to manage your
time better...Seasoned teachers - what advice can you give? Post to
the list.

Sharon Henneborn - if you see this.... Do you have the thread compiled
from "Advice for new teachers" that was done for you? I only have a
few of those saved.

Thanks in advance,

Judy Decker

--