[teacherartexchange] Ellen Sears Fabric Collage Portraits - Following Marvin Bartel

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 13:46:34 PDT

Greetings Arts Educators,

Ellen Sears sent me some WONDERFUL FABRIC Collage images of self
portraits that her 6th grade students did (She loaded them to
ArtsEducators). She followed Marvin Bartel's words of wisdom and
taught close observation skills. This is one post from Marvin on this:
http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/archive/Mar04/0219.html
I know there were others - I will find them.

Ellen used the freezer paper method for mapping the
face. She did contour drawings, mirror portraits, then watercolors for
practice. Then taught them how to do the freezer paper, started them off
and sent them home with a check every few weeks... stitchery - encouraged
'chunky' stitches in contrasting thread - then they had to add
embellishments (buttons, beads, etc...). All fabric was donated.

Freezer paper appliqué - steps 1-4 at this site -
http://www.qnm.com/articles/feature31/index3.html

This is a GREAT Lesson to use up those odd fabric scraps - teaches use
of textures.... balance...contrast....repetition....etc.

ArtsEducators list members may view the images on the site. Getty
members may sign on to ArtsEducators as na EASY way to share images
with everyone.
Just go to the web site.
Sign as - Getty Member wanting to view images
I will approve you right away. You will not have to receive the list
mail - you can sign on as NO MAIL if all you want to do is view and
share images.
(Remember - only Getty members can sign on for No Mail - policy since
I took over)

I think this will help a lot of you who want ideas too - sign on for
Digest if you want the posts (you will get many of mine twice then).

I will be putting Ellen's images on Incredible Art Department soon (week or so).

If list members have helped you with a project - share back with us
through the photos section on ArtsEducators. ArtsEducators was started
as a "back up" Getty -- so we all might as well use it that way. There
is a lot of room left on the site for images.

Make a folder for your own images - or add them to one there if it fits.

Thanks Ellen - I hope more try the photos section now. Photos older
than one year will be deleted if we start to fill up.

There is also a files section if you want to load a lesson plan.

Regards,

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department