Re: [teacherartexchange] Webshots photographic images

---------

From: Kimberly Sajan (ksajan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 05:05:05 PDT

Greetings,

I am a recent subscriber to this list. I currently
teach multimedia design and studio art in New York
City.

I have three questions that I'm not sure if they have
been addressed previously on this list:

1) In addition to the resources listed in Harold's
email, are their any other sources of copy-right free
imagery on the web?

2) I just recently learned about these copy-right
resources. Prior to that, my students have been using
photos from Yahoo, Google, Corbis, and Gettyimages. I
know that this is a big no-no. With this being said,
the work that my students have created in my class has
been amazing! I would really like to share their work,
both in print and on the web, with other educators. Is
this out of the question because of the sources of
their photos?

3) Finally, what constitutes fair use anyways?

Kim Sajan

--- Harold Olejarz <holejarz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Judy and list members,
>
> The images on the Hamilton Museum are subject to the
> statement below
> which was adapted from a Creative Commons statement
> and
> http://www.pics4learning.com/ which is another good
> sourch for images:
>
> The images in the Hamilton Museum of Art collection
> may be used to
> provide copyright friendly images for use by
> students and teachers in
> an educational setting. The original photographers
> of each image
> retain the copyright to these images and have
> graciously allowed their
> use in this collection. The images may not be sold
> as an image
> collection or partial image collection. Images in
> the Hamilton Museum
> of Art collection may be used by teachers and
> students in print,
> multimedia, and video productions. These could
> include, but are not
> limited to, school projects, contests, web pages,
> and fund raising
> activities for the express purpose of improving
> student educational
> opportunities
>

> Judy, are you sure that photo-manipulation does not
> fall under Fair
> use? If that is the case are students violating the
> law when they make
> collages using images from magazines?
>
> Harold
>

> > Harold Olejarz posted a site with photographs that
> you may use for
> > manipulation (in class use only - not for
> commercial use):
> >
> > Hamilton Museum of Art - from Hamilton
> Electronics. A place for
> > students and teachers to share digital
> photographs. Easy to
> > join...easy to upload your photographs. Curated by
> Harold Olejarz,
> > New Jersey art teacher.
> >
> http://www.hamiltonelectronics.com/HMA/galleries.asp
> >
> > Harold - if you see this - correct me if I am
> wrong. I didn't specify
> > in my link usage - so I may be making this up.
> >
> > In general? If you want to do photo manipulation
> it is best to take
> > your own photographs. Photo-manipulation does not
> fall under Fair Use,
> > if that is what you arre thinking. I am not
> looking to start a debate
> > (smile).
> >
> > Judy Decker
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing
how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out. -Ray Bradbury