[teacherartexchange] AP placements

---------

From: Judy Grochowski (jgrochowski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 18:51:10 PDT

Hi all,
            I have a question that I don't recall being discussed here
before.
            For those teaching AP courses in Art, do you find that
school sare allowing students to opt out of Arts classes when they score
well with a portfolio? We've had a terrific situation with our AP Art
History students testing out of credits at the college level, but the
studio-particularly drawing-seems to not be given the same
consideration. Philosophically, it appears the colleges we send most of
our students to feel they wish to 'train' students in their own
foundations approach and don't tend to feel these students are doing
work which is on par with their courses. I'm wondering if this is a
regional type of thing-perhaps in other parts of the country there is
not this feeling or if it exists all over and your thoughts about it. I
want to pursue AP anyway to bring another level of challenge to my
students.
Jude in Wisconsin