RE: [teacherartexchange] Classes Dropped

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 12:12:25 PDT

One of the reasons that schools are happy to get rid of industrial arts
classes is that they are
so expensive to equip. A good art class is also, but we versitile
people can teach in a cave
with sticks if we have to!

>>> bsherida@franklin.k12.ky.us 05/25/2005 4:40:08 AM >>>
 Woody, I hardly can consider this concern of our children's future a
"ranting."
Here in my district, we await each spring as compared to Shirly
Jackson's "
The Lottery." Someone on our exploratory team will get cut. We were
down
to 5 last year in a school that has 750 students. We had an "A" and a
"B"
schedule. Our Home Ec is gone and so is the industrial tech. class.
(This
year, they cut a PE position.) This year, we were lucky to have 8
members on
our team. (Next year there will be 7 with our choir numbers at nearly
100
per grade level.)
 Art and music are strong with numbers because the choir, band and the
arts
have parent support. WE bring in many friends and parents for
performances
each year. ( saving grace for now.) There are three of us on the team
that
value live performance and we find our students to respond in a
positive
manner to our methods. Our class size is in what I call the flood
zone, but
I still offer room for those "unwanted" students that do not give me a
minute's problem and are very creative. (My classes are over flood
stage.)
The truth is that the NCLB gives the assumption that there is only one
answer to any one problem and this is a head-on-collision with the arts
and
the future of problem solving students across the country.
I refuse to focus on the test scores alone. In some cases, we are
trying to
manipulate the child for failure.
Su Sheridan
The Arts in Elkhorn, Frankfort- Kentucky