[teacherartexchange] Webshots photographic images

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 10:58:23 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

As a general rule, the images on Web Shots are NOT in public domain.
They are all copyrighted. The terms of use is clearly listed on the
site. You may not use them for photo-manipulation. I did do a search
of the site specifically for "public domain photographs" and some did
come up.

http://www.webshots.com/

>> 1. What Can I Do With Materials Provided By Webshots?
"All of the material on the Webshots Site is protected by the
copyright laws of the United States and other countries. You are only
allowed to use these materials in accordance with applicable law and
these Terms and Conditions. Any other use is prohibited. As a Webshots
user, you may display Webshots images on your computer using the
Webshots Desktop, send the images as Photo Messages and Ecards, and
view them on mobile devices and/or on the Webshots CD ROM. Exporting
the Webshots images into any other software product is expressly
prohibited. No other distribution of the Webshots images is
authorized. YOU MAY NOT copy, reproduce, retransmit, distribute,
publish, commercially exploit or otherwise transfer any copyrighted
material in any format, electronic or otherwise, except as allowed by
the Webshots Photo Messages service. YOU MAY NOT use the photos for
personal websites, books, magazines, greeting cards, PowerPoint
presentations, or calendars. You may make prints and photo gifts of
Webshots photos through the Webshots store. Failure to adhere to
copyright laws may result in legal action taken by the copyright
holder. For more information, please read the full Webshots Desktop
Software License Agreement." Copied from the site. (c)2005 CNET
Networks, Inc.

http://www.webshots.com/html/terms.html

Harold Olejarz posted a site with photographs that you may use for
manipulation (in class use only - not for commercial use):

Hamilton Museum of Art - from Hamilton Electronics. A place for
students and teachers to share digital photographs. Easy to
join...easy to upload your photographs. Curated by Harold Olejarz,
New Jersey art teacher.
http://www.hamiltonelectronics.com/HMA/galleries.asp

Harold - if you see this - correct me if I am wrong. I didn't specify
in my link usage - so I may be making this up.

In general? If you want to do photo manipulation it is best to take
your own photographs. Photo-manipulation does not fall under Fair Use,
if that is what you arre thinking. I am not looking to start a debate
(smile).

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department