[teacherartexchange] Source for Digital Images - NYPL Digital Gallery

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 06:37:24 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,
 Special thanks to Fran for reminding me about this great resource!
 From my posts to Art Education and ArtsEductors lists April 2:

I found this resource recommended in the Teaching
History with Technology Newletter.

New York Public Library Digital Gallery:
http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/index.cfm

You DO have permission to use these images in your
classroom, however - you may NOT publish any of them
on a web site or any other kind of publication. There
is a $30.00 fee per image for publication rights. I
particularly liked the fish illustrations (from early
1800's)

The NYPDL is The New York Public Library's new image
database. The Gallery provides access to over 275,000
searchable images digitized from primary sources and
printed rarities in the collections of The New York
Public Library, including illuminated manuscripts,
historical maps, vintage posters, rare prints and
photographs, illustrated books, printed ephemera, and
more. Highlights of the History & Geography collection
include 16th-century maps and drawings depicting the
landing of European explorers in the Western
Hemisphere; contemporaneous engravings of battle
scenes of the American Revolution; portraits of
African Americans in the mid-19th century; photographs
recording the westward progress of the American
transcontinental railroad; sheet music covers and
restaurant menus from the 1890s; and photographs of
Depression-era New York City by Lewis Hine and
Berenice Abbott.

I subscribed to receive this newsletter:
http://thwt.org/newsletterh6.htm
It is produced by Tom Daccord - webmaster of Best of
History Web Sites.

I will be adding a link to NYPDL on the pages for
Public Domain Images. Images are in public domain for school/in class use.

Regards,

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department