RE: [teacherartexchange] Classes Dropped

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 03:24:01 PDT

Re: Home Ec and Industrial Arts being dropped.

Here's my rant....teachers don't advocate for their programs. In my state,
we have state standards. Before they came about, there were many committees
organized by the state to have input. Our state art teacher's organization
made sure to have solid representation in the process, hence art is
prominant in the 'standards'. While attending many meetings, I asked my
friends the home ec teacher and the industrial arts teacher why they weren't
going to the meetings, or why they were advocating for their programs. They
laughed and said that when 'our governor was out, the standards would be a
moot point as another governor would have other ideas'. Well p.s. our school
doesn't have Home Ec or Industrial Arts anymore because years later, the
standards don't reflect those two areas. (Also, we have a local technical
school that we can bus our students to, that offers Vo-tech classes in
Baking, Airconditioning, etc--so students CAN opt for vocational training
for half a day and we supply the academic credits) We, as art teachers
can't be short sighted, we must be vigilant, and always advocate for our
discipline and it's place in the schools.

San D