Re: [teacherartexchange] Classes Dropped

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 15:55:19 PDT

Part of the problem is that industrial arts and facs have kind of phased
themselves out. I know there are only 2 colleges in Kansas where you can get
a degree in industrial arts. That, plus the fact that many industrial art
teachers have had their positions for many, many years, so there hasn't been
a demand for this position (don't know about facs, as my district hasn't had
a facs program for 30 years). What has saved the arts thus far is the Kansas
high school graduation requirements include one fine arts credit, and the
NCLB law states all teachers must be highly qualified, which means you must
be certified in that position. My own district is possibly going to have to
phase out either woods, auto, and metals, OR CAD, PT, and building
instruction, as these 2 teachers are leaving, and may be impossible to
replace. On the other hand, I am going to be teaching an IDL class next
year, because some of our smaller districts cannot hire even a part time art
teacher, so they are doing distance learning (which means a large payraise
for me). My son's district did start an art program this year, which is a
great thing considering the school financing. These schools have discovered
that students having only music and band as choices are really being short
changed. I am thrilled to see that in some areas the arts are actually
moving forward!
~Michal