[teacherartexchange] Classes Dropped

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 14:00:07 PDT

In an e-mail from a teacher at my old Middle School, I found
out that all shop and Home Ec classes will be dropped. The
shop teacher retired so it was easy to faze out. Apparently
our school had the last shop class in the district. The
Home Ec was dropped to provide more math. Math is the one
area that has been a problem with test results. Art and
Music classes are safe for now, but for how long is the
question. The school serves a low income population. There
are not that many college bound kids. There are lots of
good solid jobs out there in the construction trades. I know
because my son makes four times what a teacher makes. I
believe we are making a big mistake focusing on test scores
in just reading and math. In a few years NCLB will expect
100 % of our students to be proficient in reading and
math. An excellent but very unrealistic goal. They instead
should call it NSLO (No School Left Open). Any comments
on my ranting.
                                Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque