[teacherartexchange] What is an Altered Book? What is a Tip In? - Reply off list to join

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 06:08:45 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I need to have the list of interested participants lined up this week.
Details with come later. What I have planned for the Tip In is doable
and I think will appeal to you.

For those who do not know what and Altered Book is... See this file:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/ABook.htm

I will not be organizing a Round Robin mailing of books again.... But
want to give this Tip In a try. If the Tip In works, I will continue
to do them year round (maybe every three months?).

This is what a Tip In is:

Tip - in: What is it?
A tip-in page is a page added to a book. A single image or photo can
also be 'tipped-in to a page. It generally is accomplished by adding
adhesive along one side of a page or image, and adhering it into the
book. In addition, pages or images can be added (tipped-in), by
sewing, fasteners, or any variety of means to attach paper to paper.
You can cut out two pages leaving only about a 1/2 inch strip...apply
glue to the inside of the strips to add in your page. This is a good
way to fix a "goof up" too. Tip in a new page that you are happy with.

YOU will mail me the pages you want to put in your book. You can slice
out pages from an existing book - OR send me blank pages cut to
size... makes no difference to me. Once I get everyone's pages. I will
divide them into the piles for each member and mail them out. You will
have several weeks to complete all pages (and can even do the same
thing for everyone if you want... I plan to - but will add a personal
element to each, too). You will send me $$ (or stamps) to cover my
postage (I'll let you know how much - I'll make a test package to
weigh). I will donate tags for you to sign to return with your
decorated pages. Once all pages are returned, I will sort them back
into piles for the orginal owner and mail back to you.

Reply to me OFF LIST if you want to join in. I need all replies by
WEDNESDAY. Sorry to make you decide so soon.... but I need to get
details ironed out as some participants will be leaving first part of
June and will need to get their pages to me before they go

If this Tip In works..... I will organize more (but will probably
simplify things for them).

Regards,

Judy Decker

--