Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Plaster Sculputre - - Wet or dry

From: Carol ONeil (o8neil_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 06:01:51 PDT

Carolyn, I think it is easier to carve when they are damp. I use sloyd knives , also plastic ones. the metal ones rust a bit but not too bad. after the plaster is very dry it is very hard to carve and lots of dust. they kids then start chipping away at them. i would keep them in the cartons til you are ready to go outside ....going outside is brilliant! have a great day carol wrote:Since my school system will be in full swing until mid June, I am making plans to keep those little hands and minds busy! I poured plaster blocks today in milk cartons for my eighth graders. WE will be taking the plaster blocks outside during the last week to create subtractive sculpture.
QUESTION - - - Is it best to make plaster sculpture with dry plaster blocks that have been allowed to dry our or damp blocks that have been recently poured and stored in plastic? I guess the damp plaster would make less mess but I fear that our sculpture tools will rust from the damp plaster. I could use your expertise! Thanks.
Carolyn in VA. Beach
To unsubscribe go to

Do You Yahoo!?