Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Glass marbles in the kiln

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 04:36:25 PDT

What effect did your solid marbles give, and what cone did you fire at? When I had kids use solid marbles the marbles melted, but they had air holes and were kind of bumpy fired at 05. I was pleased with the clear marbles, but may not have fired the solid marbles hot enough???? Just guessing.

   Also, the kids discovered that putting a mixture of the clear (flat) marbles with the colored ones gave a spectacular effect! The solid red ones turn a gorgeous yellow-orange and swirl with clear when they melt. The flat marbles- used in flower arrangements come in turquiose, irredescent, and a variety of colors.

To unsubscribe go to