[teacherartexchange] Docent Training and Thoughts on Retirement

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 18:22:50 PDT

Today I graduated from my first year of docent training.
I received my official badge and was assigned to a study
group for summer training. Next year my training will be
in New Mexico history. The Albuquerque Museum is both an
Art and a History museum. I really encourage teachers
about to retire to get active in some sort of volunteer
effort. Your community needs your input and you will grow
through the experience. Of course I would suggest that
you seek out an art museum, but most of all find something
that fits you. I'm getting a quality "free" education and
really enjoying it.

When I was fishing I missed a couple of docent training
sessions. At one of those sessions the city explained
how they were starting background checks on volunteers
working with children. It appears that the docents were
outraged. They sent the representatives from the city
back to rethink this invasion of their privacy. I wish
I'd been there to witness it. Now, understand I'm a die
hard liberal. But I see no problem with checking me out.
As a teacher and a grandparent I want those working with
kids to be above reproach. I'd give fingerprints and
a DNA sample if they want it. Many docents didn't want
to even provide Social Security numbers. We don't live
in a world where we leave our doors unlocked and allow
our children to ride bikes anywhere they wish. That was
the way I grew up a long, long time ago.

While Frani has been playing with her dolls, I've been
tweaking the garden. I find it hard to believe how fast
the cactus have grown. The Roses love it here too, lots of
sun and cool nights. I'm planting two more roses tomorrow.

http://www.taospaint.com/Roses/AndCactus.html

Have a wonderful week and do something fun this summer.
Do remember to hug your kids, but be careful Big Brother
is watching.
                        Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque