Re: [teacherartexchange] Plaster Sculputre - - Wet or dry

---------

Aartteachr_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 17:06:14 PDT

In a message dated 5/23/2005 5:44:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
BigCrab99@aol.com writes:

> QUESTION - - - Is it best to make plaster sculpture with dry plaster blocks
> that have been allowed to dry our or damp blocks that have been recently
> poured and stored in plastic? I guess the damp plaster would make less mess but
> I fear that our sculpture tools will rust from the damp plaster. I could
> use your expertise! Thanks.
>
> Dry plaster may chip and is harder to carve away. Also depends on the tools
that you use. Are they sculpture tools? Plastic knives? Wooden clay tools?

I let the forms harden somewhat and we carved when they were semi- moist.
Meanwhile, we studied Henry Moore's work. They did well and did not break small
parts even when making "holes" through the forms. We stored them in zip-lock
bags until we were finished with the forms. Then we let them air dry.

here's a tip: Add used coffee grounds to the plaster when mixing. It takes on
a tan color and looks like stone with the little flecks of brown. We sealed
them with gloss acrylic medium.

 We fooled everyone. They thought we carved in stone!

MarshArt in Orlando