[teacherartexchange] Tell your students about this kids' site

---------

From: TeacherArtExchange listserv (lyris-noreply_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 12:57:45 PDT

Want to suggest fun and educational activities on the
Web to your students? Check out the new art games on
Whyville (www.whyville.net), a virtual kids' world
where games, chat, and community make learning fun.

In the Whyville Getty Museum, kids can hang out in the
lobby or learn what a registrar does. They can also play
art-related games.

In ART SETS, players race each other to sort images into
sets based on what they have in common. In ART TREASURE HUNT,
gamers travel the globe in the "Warp Wagon" to find out where
works of art were made.

There are lots of science games on Whyville too, including
one where you man your own hot air balloon--it's harder
than it sounds!

Whyville has more than a million users from all over the
world, so your students might even be members already.
Once they join, they can earn "clams" by playing games
or starting their own Whyville business. Then they can
buy or design their own face parts for a cool individual
look. (You appear as a floating head on Whyville, so having
good hair is very important.) Members can also join the
city government, write for the Whyville Times, and hang
out with other kids at the beach, on the moon, or myriad
other places. The developers listen to kids' feedback and
are constantly improving the site based on their suggestions.

Whyville is designed for kids ages 9 to 15, but anybody can
join, including teachers who can use the site in conjunction
with lesson plans. Several of us here at the Getty have gotten
hooked, we admit. (You can easily spot us--we have Getty
beanies on our heads.)

How to find the Getty Museum on Whyville
1) Go to www.whyville.net
2) Click on "sign in" to enter as a guest or "join now"
to create an account (free, no age limit)
3) To get to the Getty Museum and the art games, find the
drop-down menu marked "Destination..." on the left of the
screen and scroll down to Getty Museum. Or look for us on
Whyville Square.

If you or your students have feedback about Whyville or
getty.edu, please share them on this listserv. We are eager
to hear from you.

See you in Whyville!

Getty Staff