[teacherartexchange] GREAT Photography site documenting Black History (Pittsburg)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 21 2005 - 04:08:12 PDT

Dear List Members,

Here is a site photography teachers will like as well as history
teachers (pass it on). Recommended by Scout Report

11. Documenting History : Teenie Harris Archive
http://www.cmoa.org/teenie/info.asp

Charles "Teenie" Harris was a Pittsburgh photographer who spent more
than 40 years documenting the city's black community, in part as the
staff photographer for the Pittsburgh Courier from 1941-1975 (he had
freelanced for the paper since about 1936). Harris died in 1998, never
receiving the recognition he was due, and in 2001 the Carnegie Museum
of Pittsburgh acquired his photographic archive, about 50,000
pictures. The Teenie Harris Archive web site is an exercise in
community curation-- currently there are 1400 unidentified images at
the site, with space for visitors to add comments and information. The
Museum will add images monthly until 3,600 are presented. Already
there are fascinating pictures at the site: a young Dizzy
Gillespie--you'll know him by his trumpet, with the bent bell--and
many pictures of Pittsburgh's Hill District, before it burned in the
riots following Martin Luther King's 1968 assassination.

>From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout Project 1994-2005.
http://scout.wisc.edu/

I will link this on my African American Art and History page - as well
as on Photography links page.

Regards,

Judy Decker

--