[teacherartexchange] Welcome Nicole Brisco! New to Getty list (AP Studio Art)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 07:10:40 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Nicole Brisco has recently joined Getty list. She is one of "my
experts" for AP Studio. I am just thrilled to have her student art and
excellent lesson plans on Incredible Art Department:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/artroom/Nicole/Nicole.htm
What this Art Room grow next year, too.

I "met" Nicole on the AP Studio list serve (College Board site).

Here are some AP tips from Nicole (that I have been saving to add to
her Art Room)

What I wish I had known: Part I

1. Start taking slides now if you have not already done so....remember
they do not always work out the first time. Slide quality is important.
To get maximum color do not do in direct sunlight, cast a shadow. Black
felt is great on a brick wall (does not reflect light)
2. Have all of your students place a short information card on the back
of their pieces (possibilities: title, media, size, etc). This might
help when you are labeling the slides.
3. Label slides as soon as they come back in. Follow the directions on
the poster or on line. Small sticker labels are great!!
4. Have them begin working on the 2 questions. Have each student partner
up and read the others....this way they can get some feedback on how clear
they have made their intent. Remember students should state their
concentration concept in the first sentence......My concentration is ___.
5. If you have not taken slides, take digital pics and look at the
contrast on the camera...this is a great way to see if the image will read
clearly and is a lot less expensive than creating multiple rolls of slides.
Popping color and contrast always looks great on the slide. No matter
how beautiful a line drawing is, sometimes it can't be seen well.
6. Begin matting and or mounting quality work. Double check sizes. Use
fixative so that works are not damaged.
7. If your exams have arrived. Double check the numbers. Make sure
there is one for each student that is taking.
8. Lastly, remember to thank the students for their hard work...tell
them how proud you are of them. Each one is a blessing, even through the
ups and the downs....they have all filled a place in your life!!!

Right now there isn't a Part II (smile).... she just wanted to leave
it open for more words of wisdom.

Even BETTER news is that Nicole will be writing articles for School
Arts - watch for them next year. I am certain she will telling me
more....

Regards,

Judy Decker

--