Re: [teacherartexchange] Need ideas for Copper Tooling

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 12:24:54 PDT

I can't believe you have a whole course on copper tooling using foil!!
Why don't you do a couple of
projects with foil, then get some 18 or 20 gauge copper sheet and do
repousse with a hammer and
punches. I get hammers at the dollar store and buy cement nails that
are 3 inches long and shape the ends with
a grinder. I temper them with a torch, but I'm sure you could do
beginning work without--just keep grinding a good shape if they wear
down. I've done little sketchbooks with foil by just bending the
repoussed foil over a piece of tag board and then running it into one of
those binding machines that use the little plastic combs. You have to
keep the design kind of flat near the edge so it will go in the machine.
 They look really cool.

>>> lucylomax@cinci.rr.com 05/19/2005 7:24:46 AM >>>
Hello all,

I've been absent from the list for quite some time. I just gave birth
to my
third son, Owen! I think that's a pretty good excuse ;-).

Anyway, I'm writing to collect some ideas for Copper projects. Next
year I
will inherit all 8 sections of our Copper Tooling course. This class
is
straight out of the sixties. It has been taught by our Shop teacher
who is
retiring this year. Currently, students complete 5 projects that are
essentially exactly the same except for the pattern. Students choose
from
an array of photocopied cartoon characters to trace onto the copper.
Basically, it is and Art teacher's nightmare. I volunteered to take
over
the class in hopes of giving it new life. I've collected some great
ideas
from IAD.

I'd like to create a choice-based class. I've been reading about TAB
and I
feel like this would be a great way to structure this class. I would
like
to collect as many project ideas as I can. I'm hoping some of you have
done
innovative projects with copper (jewelry, sculpture, enameling etc.).
Somewhere I read about copper repousse used as a journal cover. If
anyone
knows where I may of seen that idea let me know.

Someone also started a thread on Copper Tooling finishes. We use Liver
of
Sulfur. I just don't think I can smell that everyday! If there are
any
other suggestions for finishes, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can throw my way!