[teacherartexchange] Need ideas for Copper Tooling

---------

From: Melissa Speelman (lucylomax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 07:24:46 PDT

Hello all,

I've been absent from the list for quite some time. I just gave birth to my
third son, Owen! I think that's a pretty good excuse ;-).

Anyway, I'm writing to collect some ideas for Copper projects. Next year I
will inherit all 8 sections of our Copper Tooling course. This class is
straight out of the sixties. It has been taught by our Shop teacher who is
retiring this year. Currently, students complete 5 projects that are
essentially exactly the same except for the pattern. Students choose from
an array of photocopied cartoon characters to trace onto the copper.
Basically, it is and Art teacher's nightmare. I volunteered to take over
the class in hopes of giving it new life. I've collected some great ideas
from IAD.

I'd like to create a choice-based class. I've been reading about TAB and I
feel like this would be a great way to structure this class. I would like
to collect as many project ideas as I can. I'm hoping some of you have done
innovative projects with copper (jewelry, sculpture, enameling etc.).
Somewhere I read about copper repousse used as a journal cover. If anyone
knows where I may of seen that idea let me know.

Someone also started a thread on Copper Tooling finishes. We use Liver of
Sulfur. I just don't think I can smell that everyday! If there are any
other suggestions for finishes, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can throw my way!