[teacherartexchange] el desafio - recycled/found objects

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 05:53:32 PDT

An article in The Christian Science Monitor:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0518/p15s01-trgn.html
I have no idea what this says - but I think it is the same place - more
images:
http://www.trelew.com/espectaculos/desafio/

Ellen

El Desafio Park
In the village of Gaimen, about 20 km from Trelew in Argentina, a weird
mixture of materials, colors and shapes form the El Desafio Park ("the
challenge"), a park built out of waste materials (or in other words - junk).
Old cars, empty bottles, boxes, paint cans and many other leftovers of 20th
century technology create a colorful maze full of life, where visitor walk
through, fascinated as children.
The park is built as a maze full of life and youthful energy, and in every
corner humorous sayings greet the visitors. All the things in the park, from
the fences surrounding it, through the dinosaur models scattered in it and
up to the Taj Mahal model, were made only of waste materials.
The park is the life work of Don Joaquin Raimundo Alonso. Don Alonso, an 87
years old men with grey hair welcoms all the visitors with a big smile on
his face. "Welcome! Take as many photos as you want - I built this park with
my own two hands" he says as he lifts his arms pointing at the park with
great affection