Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Art to motivate middle school kids

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 10:31:50 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I've been sending "stuff" to a TAB Choice list member to help her
motivate middle school kids.... I decided to share this artist with
you, too....

I found the right materials and the right artists motivated my
students. Here is one artist I KNOW my kiddles would have loved.

James Harold Jennings:
There are more links out there....

Get some scrap wood (or scrap cardboard and/or foam core board -
FREE), some acrylic paints (for base coats), some sqeeze puffy paints
(lots of colors) and some paint markers....and let them go to town
creating images that reflect middle school culture/values (family -
friends - whatever). My students LOVED to use the puffy paints and
paint markers and took VERY good care of them.

If you want some fine art/cultural art to compare his work to.... look
at Aboriginal art (dot paintings) and Native Amercan textiles - both
influenced James (he use National Geographics as his resource). When I
did cultural art, I liked to show how other artists were influenced by
their art, too. You can also use Keith Haring for Aboriginal art and
native cultures (pre-Columbian mainly).

I will be adding James to my page on American Folk Art.

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources
To unsubscribe go to