Re: [teacherartexchange] another glaze question...

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 08:52:58 PDT

I talked with Deb off list.

The solution for Deb is to reglaze and fire to cone 06. (brush some
gum arabic on the glazed pieces to get the glaze to stick). Fire a few
to cone 06.... if still shiny (then your mechanism is off on your
kiln) fire to cone 07 (or get someone in to adjust your settings on
your kiln. I always fired using pyrometric cones).

All of these Amaco textured glaze do best when applied with up to
three coats and fired to 06 (NOT 05 - that is too hot and does make
them shine). You can fire a mixed glaze load to 06 - then refire
pieces that are supposed to shine to 05. That is easier to fix that
than when their is too much fusion.

Marvin, if you see this.... What could she add to the glaze if the
work still comes out to shiny?

Regards,

Judy Decker