Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] oil pastel resist

From: Karen Abood (submude_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 08:22:50 PDT

I've used sumi ink over tempera and gotten nice
results. The ink can be watered down. I use a one
inch wash brush for quick application. The ink has to
be washed off the surface of the tempera, so the paper
has to be durable. I do this in styrofoam trays. I
haven't done it on oil pastels; the ink should be
resisted and only go in between strokes. So the
strokes should have heavy coverage.

--- Geoffrey McClain <> wrote:
> I'm about to have my first graders paint over their
> oil pastel Starry Night sky. I never get good
> results when I do this part. What paint should I
> use? I've tried watered down black and blue tempera
> paint. Is this best? Should I have them do it with
> a large brush and apply it in horizontal
> brushstrokes like a watercolor wash? What
> proportion of paint to water should I use?
> Thanks --- Sky in NJ
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

Do You Yahoo!?