Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] oil pastel resist

From: Kathy Hughes (kchughes55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 03:56:35 PDT

We just finished doing these and the most successful were the ones that had most of the paper covered in oil pastel. Some students used crayon instead of oil pastel and unless the student used a heavy hand with the crayon they were not as effective. We used black watercolor in the pans and #8 brushes.

Geoffrey McClain <> wrote:
I'm about to have my first graders paint over their oil pastel Starry Night sky. I never get good results when I do this part. What paint should I use? I've tried watered down black and blue tempera paint. Is this best? Should I have them do it with a large brush and apply it in horizontal brushstrokes like a watercolor wash? What proportion of paint to water should I use?
Thanks --- Sky in NJ
To unsubscribe go to
Do you Yahoo!?