RE: [teacherartexchange] kiln settings- glaze chips?

---------

From: Duffey, Patrick G. (DuffeyP_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 15:04:33 PDT

Here are some ??????s and thoughts........

What is the firing range of your low fire clay? How thoroughly wedged is
your clay? Is there any plaster in you clay or glaze? Did you rinse the
bisque fired clay artworks with water to remove any dust any dust that
may have settled in or on the pieces? Did you thoroughly dry these
water rinsed pieces before you glazed them? Are you putting two thin
coats of glaze on your pieces or one thick coating? Have you or your
students handled them a lot ?.... the oils/moisture from all of your
hands sometimes will stop the glaze from adhering to the clay long
enough to be glaze fired sort of like wax resist will do. Have you done
a witness cone trial to check your digital thermocouple for
accuracy---most are very accurate so I don't think that is your problem,
but it could be a problem. Hopefully this will help you identify your
troubles.

Patrick on the Puget Sound