[teacherartexchange] Ceramic Artist to inspire - Brian Gartside - New Zealand

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 05:48:33 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Here is a ceramic artist to inspire (particularly AP students working
on concentration area).

Brian Gartside from New Zealand:
http://www.gartside.info/
"Brian Gartside, New Zealand potter and ceramic artist.
Ceramic Images and published articles, wall charts, posters.
glaze texture, surface design, paperclay, raku, kilns."

I was intrigued by his sculptural platters with inlaid clay (clay
shards inlaid). I will let you know what I hear back from him on
those. I imagine that the paper clay shrinks less and that is why this
works?.... I did ask him about those. If we can get this idea to work
on the classroom - imagine all the possibilities for those left over
clay projects you can get the kiddies to take home.

Read about paperclay:
http://www.gartside.info/paperclayintro.htm
This is firing clay - paper pulp mixed with liquid clay (not the air
dry paper clay). See the how to's charts and info.

I can tell by looking at him that he would welcome your questions
about his work. contact information is on his site:
http://www.gartside.info/bgpicsemail.htm

I added a link to Brian's site on my ceramics page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/ceramics.htm

Regards,

Judy Decker

--